[RC] Should I buy this horse? - Julie Fuller

Donna,

I'm no expert, and I don't play one on TV either, but I have rescued many horses over the years, so I guess I feel justified in chiming in here.

I am still waiting for all the pics to download (dial-up *sigh*) but from what I have seen in the first 5 pics is:

I wouldn't worry about her back. She'll put on muscle when she's ridden, especially if she's worked on hills, and collected decently. I've seen far worse come back just fine.

Her front legs aren't perfect, but not bad either. It looks to me like she's got a slightly clubby right front (off-side) foot. (Look at the height of her heels of her front feet in the first picture... though it could be the sand she is standing it... it's kinda hard to tell, but I think that's what I am seeing) I wouldn't worry about that, other than to make sure you have decent farrier work regularly. Sometimes horses with a club foot end up with asymmetrical shoulders, which can cause problems with saddle fit. But it is not always the case. I've had or seen many clubby horses over the years and have only seen one with a noticeable shoulder difference from one to the other. You can best see this by standing directly behind and above the horse

She's looks fairly well balanced, though she is a bit down-hill.

She has a pretty face! *grin* And a kind eye. (I always have to laugh over a pretty face, for two reasons: One being that most of my best horses have had ugly heads with plain faces. Two being I had a friend who would buy anything that was a black bay with a pretty face. She once nearly bought a pin-fired ex-track horse that was lame in all four! I kid you not!

She is light in the hind end. Some of that will go away with work, but not all of it. It shouldn't be a big deal, though it will mean hills (and collection) are gonna be a bit more difficult for her.

Okay, I've finally seen all the pictures now, and I can't see anything glaringly horrible about her. I'd say if she's a decent price, and you like her, go for it!