[RC] Reality bites/ horse slaughter - sherman

While I completely agree with "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em",  it will be a very sad day when only wealthy people can afford horses, and not necessarily any better outcome for the horses since many wealthy people don’t always provide the best care of their possessions. And some people do still use horses to plow fields, round up the cattle, pull logs, etc, not that they have to, but they want to.

Kathy

Currently I sit on the fence for horse slaughter (I'm leaning slightly for opening the plants back up but regulating humane transportation/treatment to give them somewhere to go), so I'd like to pose a question:

What is the long term affect of banning horse slaughter? IN FIVE YEARS OR TEN YEARS, will the over-population of unwanted horses wane, back yard breeders stop breeding because the value of horses is in the toilet, and horse prices finally go up again so that people who cannot afford to care for horses properly stop buying $300 horses? CAN banning horse slaughter EVENTUALLY CHANGE THE HORSE MARKET FOR THE BETTER? LLLLLOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGG TERM? Can we increase the quality of horses being produced?

I would really like horses to be seen as a "luxury" item, like a boat. We don't need them to plow fields anymore. The best bumper sticker... "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em"

Thanks,
Christy