Re: [RC] use of MSM - Beth Walker

I read that statement to mean that the doses that are on the label are "megadoses", meant to achieve an anti-inflammatory effect. ?Therefore, you would have to stop supplementing far enough before the ride to let the sulfur levels decrease.

I don't recognize DMG, but the other three are used to reduce inflammation from arthritis, and other types of problems. ?However, the rules specifically allow Adequan, which is also used to treat arthritis, so I would be interested in hearing why one is OK while the others aren't. ? :) ?

I'm assuming the reason is that the mechanism is different -- the substances mentioned all specifically have anti-inflammatory properties, which is their main claim to fame, while Adequan works by increasing synovial fluid levels, stimulating cartilage repair and inhibiting harmful enzymes. ?It also has anti-inflammatory properties, though. ?I'm guessing that the difference is that Adequan has been proven to be theraputic, while the others are mainly palliative.

Any vets online are welcome to step in and correct anything I've gotten wrong. ?:)