Re: [RC] AERC National Championships with an International - Beth Walker

That is an interesting question, and one I hadn't run into until I got my new horse. I think it is very possible for the horse to actually be at criteria in the P&R area, but then be above when it gets to the vet. I would say it is a judgement call by the vet -- if the horse is quiet, or looks tired, that is one thing. If he is dancing around like a maniac, that could be a different situation.

Take my fellow: At the first ride we did together, we had to pull for metabolic, not because he was metabolically stressed, but because he was over-excited. I watched his heart rate: it would start dropping, dropping, get to 60 (criteria was 56), then he would jerk his head up to look at something, dance around, and it would shoot back up to 80, 90, 120..... He did that for a 1/2 hour, so I went to the vet line to pull. The horses in the vet line were pretty calm, and calmed him down (I learned a lesson -- I had been trying to keep him out of the pack). He stood still, and dropped to 56, then below. As soon as the vet line moved, it would shoot up again, then come back down when he stood still. When we walked the 5 feet to the vet (and away from the other horses), he got excited again, started dancing around, and was back up to 80 or 90 ....