Re: [RC] AERC National Championships with an International - Steph Teeter

We've done it both ways here over the years. As far as timing, waiting, walking too far, etc -it's more a matter of layout and organization than who does the actual pulse taking. The problem with having volunteers take the official pulse is 1) having enough qualified volunteers and 2) issues with accuracy . We have had a few cases where a volunteer pulsed the horse at 64 (or 60), the horse got it's time recorded, and when it got to the vet it was at 80. So - does the 'official/volunteer' pulse stand? the vet ignores the 80 pulse and continues with the exam? or can the vet over-rule the volunteer and send the horse back for a re-present. At most rides it's not a big deal, but at a championship it can make the difference between first and second place.

Steph

The pulse time was recorded when a horse went in through the vet
gate to see the veterinarians, before the heartrate was ever taken.
This is very different from the standard AERC ride, where the
riders have to wait for their pulse time to be recorded until after
a P&R volunteer can be located and the heartrate can be counted.

Actually, the pulse time has been recorded when you passed into the gate in the SE for *many* years. I found the FEI method to be far inferior to what we had perfected through the years...their attempt to copy but determined they would automatically be "better". The idea that a vet *had* to take the pulse made it possible for the horse's pulse to climb standing in the blazing sun waiting for a vet to come available, and the vet was a 20 yard walk from the gate.>>