[RC] AERC National Championships with an International - Steph Teeter

< forwarded from Michele Roush >

AERC National Championships with an International Flair

John and Steph Teeter put on a super show at the AERC Championships this weekend, and I was very happy to be able to attend. There were some very good horses and riders competing against each other, and having an FEI ride along with the AERC ride gave the entire weekend even more prestige and flair. We were honored to have had the opportunity to host quite a number of international participants, including a group from Malaysia, who will be helping to put on the next World Championships, several vets and FEI officials and one rider from South Africa. I was thrilled to be able to ride with her for the 55 miler, and I learned a great deal about how endurance is done in another part of the world.
In addition to bringing people from all over the world together, the FEI influence on the ride brought us a more level playing field. The first tenet of FEI is to ensure the welfare of the horse. The second is to ensure a level playing field for all participants. This weekend, simple procedures like having the veterinarians take pulses, rather than having volunteers do it, made the ride more fair for everyone, AERC and FEI riders alike. The pulse time was recorded when a horse went in through the vet gate to see the veterinarians, before the heartrate was ever taken. This is very different from the standard AERC ride, where the riders have to wait for their pulse time to be recorded until after a P&R volunteer can be located and the heartrate can be counted. The way it was done at the Championships ensured that if two horses presented for P&R at the same time, they would have the same pulse time. It took away any possibility that the pulse time for a horse would depend upon the availability and skill of any P&R volunteer. I know we have all at one time or another waited to have a horse’s pulse taken because of a lack of people able to do the job. The FEI system completely erased any possibility of that happening. I really like the fact that the dual sanctioning allowed an overall increase in the quality of the event, and I hope that we can continue to learn from one another.

Thank you Steph, John, and all the many people who made it a success.

Respectfully submitted, Michele Roush DVM