Re: [RC] Why get rid of Yellow Jackets or Hornets? - Karla Watson

They are next to my horse water tank and stinging the horses when they step near them. They stung one of my dogs and yesterday was the last straw when they stung me and my kid many times. We were just walking near the nest. WOW, do those stings HURT!! I'd let them be if they were somewhere else on my property. Thanks for all the tips. They are gone now and we are relieved. The gasoline or kerosene was making me a bit nervous so close to the horses so we used a whole can of shooting wasp spray late at night, covered immediately with a big bucket of dirt. No sign of them today.

Why get rid of Yellow Jackets or Hornets?

If they are some where you "must" travel, I understand. Get rid of them. I've been stung and it hurts. If you can avoid the area they will do you some good. Both are predator insects. They feed on other insects. Mostly insect larva. If near your pasture they can cut down on other unwanted insects without the use of pesticides.

Everything has a purpose. Even the ugly buzzard has a purpose. They clean up the dead along the trail. I don't like it when they circle overhead. But that just means I should be riding faster.

Rob and Annabelle