RE: [RC] back from tie-up - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

A lot of it depends on the severity of the tie-up at the time, whether it occurred early or late in the ride, how was the response to treatment, (if any), what was the treatment (if any), and what her current muscle enzyme levels are.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of sherman
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:58 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] back from tie-up

Okay, I have a question about bringing a horse back from a tie-up, Shadow was not being ridden for 8 weeks, but was doing her psychotic pacing for hours & hours up & down the 100’ fence line (because she couldn’t stand having Tico or Willy on our property), and then going for 3 mile hand-walks, which then changed to being ridden those three miles at a walk and jog. So, she’d been self exercising most of the time after the first couple of weeks then helped out some by us.

Now she’ll have 3 weeks of riding before the Patriot 50 that we’d like to do if she’s ready. Her heart rates are good, she doesn’t seem to get tired or winded going up long steep hills and really doesn’t “seem” any different than before the tie-up. Are we unrealistic in thinking she actually could be ready for a 50 in a couple more weeks? Before the tie-up she’d done 2 50s, back to back, Fri & Sat rides.

What do you think, especially those of you who’ve had horses that have had a major tie-up.

Kathy