[RC] Fw: Action Needed--Stewart Horse Camp - TypeF \(Jackie Floyd\)

This was forwarded to me and I'm passing it on to those whom I know might be interested. For AERC list and RideCamp, this is on the West Coast. I've only had a chance to camp here one, but it is one of the loveliest spots I've ever been to.

Jackie Flody

Here is the scoop on the Stewart Ranch Horse Camp issue, directly from Colin Smith, head park ranger.  Thanks to Pam Schwartz of Equestrian Trail Advocates and Gayle Jackson of San Ramon Valley Horsemen, for tracking down the whole story for us.

The NPS contract with the Stewarts has expired.  The NPS is required to put the contract up for bid, and in the next few weeks they will select a bidder.  Only then will they start any negotiations on the contract as to which of the changes they are willing to negotiate.

The Stewarts have run the camp for 42 years, but unfortunately, after seeing the new stringent conditions that NPS is suggesting, Amanda may not want to bid on it any longer.

Public input will be reviewed so we have to get involved and be sure they get enough of the right kind of public input.  It needs to be sensible, logical, and reasonable, and we must have the right reasons if we want to be listened to.

They would prefer one letter speaking for a group, so we need to get each CLUB to write a letter stating how many members they represent, and if the club camps there, please mention that.  Other points to mention:

1. High ties should not be removed, they are safer, better than only allowing hitching posts.  They re probably better for the environment too, since horses sometimes dig around the posts, but usually don t with high ties because they have a little more freedom of movement, they aren t restricted as much.

2. They say they must move the campsites 100 feet away from creeks, but the area they are suggesting is dangerously near the highway, there s no shade, it is far away from bathrooms.  Request that it at least be fenced for safety.  The camp is closed in the wintertime, the only time there would be a problem.  And the Stewarts have not had any problems with the creeks in the entire time they've been concessionaires at the camp.

3.  NPS is suggesting a limit of 50, when it is now 125.  Suggest 100 as a compromise reduction.

4.  They want a limit of only four nights per person, but people come from long distances, from all over the state, to camp there because it s the only horse camp available in the area.  Right now the limit is two weeks.

Although they will pay more attention to a letter from a club, we need to make as much of an impact as we can, so any more letters we can get the better.  And old-fashioned, snail mail letters do the most good.  We need to reach the Special Park Uses Office which administers the concession permit for the camp.  Here s the contact information.  Write to:

Point Reyes National Seashore
ATTN:  Kevin McKay cc: Kevin_McKay@xxxxxxx
1 Bear Valley Road
Point Reyes Station, CA  94956

If you e-mail send it to:  PORE_Webmaster@xxxxxxx

Happy Trails..........
El Dorado Equestrian Trails Foundation
P O Box 321
Georgetown, CA. 95634

The Email and Attachments were successfully scanned for known viruses.  However, it is not guaranteed to be virus free.