[RC] off-horses and LDs - Spottedracer

Katrina, I've had similar experiences with Bog Spavins - though the horse I dealt with had 'environmentally caused' mild OCD due to being locked in a stall 24/7 (NO turnout, no handling) and fed copious amounts of discount sweet feed - from the age of 4 months to 4 years (when I purchased him)

He SEEMED fully sound for two years, trained out very well, ran IPRA barrels on him. Then when he hit the end of his 6th year, the cartilage ossified (a normal occurence at this age).. But since the cartilage was actually malformed, ossified fragments broke off into the joint.... I noticed a mild bog spavin in one hock - slight stiffness but no lameness.. Since he was my competition partner - I IMMEDIATELY drove him straight to the vet for Xrays.. After a team of 4 vets diagnosed him with OCD and said he'd not be fully sound again - I was faced with a hard decision...

Since he was SO GOOD as a riding horse - even as a breeding stallion he was perfect in parades and used for 'pony rides' during my then 3-year-old's birthday parties.... And if his condition remained the same.. He was still sound enough to give beginner 'walk' lessons... So I gelded him the following week. When the swelling went down, he finally got his dream! To be turned out with a herd of mares for the rest of his life!

After six months of play in the big pasture, intermingled with weekly 'walking' beginner lessons.. The bog Spavin disappeared, the ossified fragments re-attached to various portions of the long bones - and he is currently sound by xray examination.

Now would I consider using him again in IPRA barrels? NOPE. To risky having the severe stress on those rear hocks... would I consider using him for an LD? If one of the CHILDREN wanted to - YES!  He's done several 11 mile 'trotting' trail rides at LBL with no Hock issues. Because the stress of doing trails is far less than that of Barrels. But I'd only ask him to carry <100lbs for an LD - which means a youth...Just to be safe..

- LP