Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.5208 Molasses in water - Chipnml

Actually one cup in 2 gallons of water really isn't a lot of sugar.  Also, my guy tends to be really low key, and I'm actually happy when he shows a little zip at a ride.  Quite a turnaround from my previous horse who would have me worn out in the first 15 miles with all his shenanigans.  That being said, I don't notice my present horse's attitude getting too hyper with the added molasses.  He eats really well at night, but his bucket is usually full in the morning, so I don't think he's getting too much water, but I can see where that would be a legitimate concern.  If he did drink overnight, I wouldn't be trying to give him the extra water before I went to bed.  Also, I think (but I'm not sure) that the problem you mentioned has something to do with too much water, and not balancing electrolytes, but I may be mistaken.  Anyway, after he drinks, I do give him e-lytes the night before.

Chip