RE: [RC] salt - Katrina Mosshammer

I just had to share what Perle did last weekend while we were riding. We went out to the local park and while we were saddling she kept licking the trailer fender. So I pulled out my "tupperware" container of e-lytes and let her lick up some out of the container, which she did. Then when we were ready, @ 10 min. we went up to the station to fill out out permit. Mom was holding on to Perle while I was filling out the permit. First thing Perle did was walk straight up to the bird bath and drain it. I was so embarrassed and yet proud of her at the same time! LOL

Katrina

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM
Sent: August 23, 2007 12:43 PM
To: 'Sheila A. Walsh'; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] salt

>Dr. Garlinghouse,

>Thanks for the tip on hay stimulating drinking.  I have been known to drop an entire flake into my horse’s water trough, when I am not sure that they are drinking >enough.

I like doing that, too.  You just have to be careful to not let it sit too long to start getting icky.  And, of course, it would be rude to do so at a vet check with community water (and I know you’re not suggesting you would), as the water gets VERY icky by the end of the day.

>However, another trick a dear friend taught me was to take your wet hand, dip it into your electrolyte powder/salts and then wipe it off under your horse’s lips >before hitting the trail in the morning.  This pretty much makes them want to drink at the very next water stop.

Yup, one of my favorite things to do, too.  Although I don’t dip my hand, I just syringe a small dose of electrolytes just before I mount up.  Excessive electrolyte and fluid losses are always better and easier to prevent rather than treat after the fact, and both are always better supplied in smaller, frequent amounts that gigantic boluses trying to play catch up.

>And my favorite way to teach a youngster how to drink is to ride long slow rides with an old hand like my old gelding.  He teaches them everything they need to >know, kinda like monkey see, monkey do.

Me, too.  Can’t beat a smart, old horse or a smart old dog to teach yowwens. J

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM