Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 7:14 AM
Subject: [RC] Wash your car - can't water your livestock...

Just saw this story on the evening news.... lafayette, Macon County, TN has implemented new water restrictions:

Car wash businesses can only operate 2 days per week, citizens can irrigate yards 1 night per week, Farmers CANNOT use public water to fill/supply water to ANY livestock...

Considering that MOST natural sources (ponds, small streams) are completely dry - Livestock owners are faced with a harsh decision: IF they are ABLE to transport ALL of their livestock within 24 hours - they MIGHT get them to auctions ALIVE. If they can't, then the record-breaking heat (103 today) - will simply KILL all of their livestock once their trophs go dry..

Since horses are considered 'livestock' - all horse owners face this same dilemma. But most horse auction houses have already shut down.. So there's no where for the horses to go - other-than boarding in a different county, or in the ground.. Anyone with a large breeding equine farm there is effectively out-of-business..

So this rural county would rather have clean cars than beef at the grocery store...Makes sense doesn't it?

- LP