[RC] Was: starving horses in Malaysia - Lynn White

I decided that if I read one more addition about the
Starving horses in Malaysia thread I was gonna have to
talk about Turkmenistan.  And yes, it IS ENDURANCE
related!

OK all you do-gooders who complain about the plight of
the starving horses in Malaysia:  You may not be able
to help those horses, but there are probably horses in
your neck of the woods that could use some help.

If you really want to help some horses in another
country, try helping Geldy Kiarizov?s herd in
Turkmenistan (TM).

The horse on the Turkmenistan flag was bred by Geldy,
and his heard is probably one of the best of the breed
in the world.

This man has been a political prisoner since January
of 2002.   Only by several miracles has Geldy managed
to stay alive in prison.  Most of his horses have too,
but some have starved to death.  Geldy?s family has
suffered horribly also.  Only by quiet support from
friends and Teke fans has this heard and Geldy?s
family managed to survive.  In places like
Turkmenistan, if you have a family member in prison
NOBODY will do business with you, and it is against
the law to sell Akhal-Teke horses to anyone outside
TM.  So the officials would rather see the horses
starve to death as opposed to see them leave the
country.  TM is a strange place indeed?it?s probably
the Central Asian version of North Korea.

I know many endurance people don?t like the look of
Tekes, but one does not need a doctorate in equine
genetics to know that this breed has as much if not
more influence on horse breeds as Arabians.  These
horses are a genetic/historic treasure.

OK,  I won?t say any more.

If you want to help or just learn about this, try
these links:

http://tmrepublican.org/content.php?t=policystatement&id=363

or

http://www.gsuttle.free-online.co.uk/geldy_geldys_story.htm

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the
tools to get online.