Re: [RC] [RC] Training in the triple digits... - Dawn Carrie

We've been having the same issues with heat here in SE Texas (an hour north of Houston).  Hubby and I did 13 miles yesterday.  To make it worse, I'm riding my little chestnut horse, who looks like someone's pet tick.  LOL  He's slowly losing the grass belly and some of the lard, but we're keeping it slow, as he's not done anything since March (I was concentrating on my Tevis horse).  The whole herd is going through salt (both loose salt and the salt block) like I would go through free-choice chocolate.  We have a ride coming up in a week and a half...I'm doing a 50 on my Tevis horse...a very conservative 50.  Fat Boy won't do anything till late October, when he'll do a 50.  But right now, it's just too darned hot to do any really long rides on him, till he gets back in better shape.  I'm just holding my breath, waiting till the third week in September, when we can start hoping for that first cool front of the fall...

Dawn Carrie, Texas
and Epic Sundance (did you call me Fat Boy?!?)