[RC] FW: cross country riding v/s designated trails and resource preotection.'Nicole Wiere' - Jim Holland

I think everyone agrees that working WITH land managers to build sustainable
trail systems is preferable to a contentious relationship.? However to work
WITH a land manager implies that the land manager is willing to work with
YOU. ?In the case of the Chattahoochee-Oconee NF, the land manager
specifically said:

? 82% of the Chattahoochee will not support sustainable trails due to soil
type.? (Ridiculous statement)
? NO new trails or trailheads are planned. (Unacceptable)
? They have NO documented list of areas where horses have ?damaged? the
forest. (None of their slides of ?damage? showed even ONE hoof print?.could
just as easily have been done by deer)
? Their own DEIS stated that horse traffic has little or no impact on the
forest.
? Their own DEIS stated that hikers are a greater impact than horses. (They
create social trails all over the place in inappropriate places because they
can negotiate slopes that horses can?t causing runoff into streams, build
campsites 10 feet or less from streams, cut live trees for campfires and
destroy the ground cover?most of them don?t even bury their poop, much less
practice LNT)
? The Chief Forester in the ROD on the last appeal specified a requirement
for ?site specific? data.? The Land Manager asserts that the entire
Chattahoochee National Forest is a ?site) (Again, ridiculous)
? BCHNG has proposed a number of trail additions in the last couple of
years, 25 miles of them laid out by a Trail Master.? The land manager for
the CONF has approved NONE of them, is unwilling to discuss it, and has
given us no indication that he is willing to allow ANY additional trails to
be built.

In the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests, there are inadequate
recreational opportunities for equestrians considering the limited number of
designated trails available and the lack of trailheads and connector trails.
Although the FS stated that ?there are no plans to close any existing trails
or trailheads?, if trail riders are forced to use only this small number of
trails, they will rapidly deteriorate from overuse and I assure you they
WILL close them.

If there were an extensive well designed trail system with appropriate
trailheads and connector trails, I doubt that ANYONE would prefer
?bushwhacking? cross country and the whole issue would go away. I have
almost 100 hours of trail work as of the 1st of June?.and that was in
Georgia alone.? In the words of Roosevelt, paraphrased?I ?prefer to walk
softly??.but I will not shrink from using the ?big stick?.? It takes TWO to
?compromise??.and I don?t see that happening with the current land managers
of the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest. This issue is not about
?unrestricted use of public land?.?

We cannot appeal the actions of the FS to discriminate again equestrians by
denying us an adequate trail system. However, we CAN appeal FW-127?.because
the Chief Forester in his ROD of 2006 has already said their actions were
unjustified?.and if that fails, we CAN take it to Federal District Court.

The Back Country Horsemen of North Georgia, The Back Country Horsemen of
Middle and South Georgia, The Southern Appalachian Back Country Horsemen,
The Back Country Horsemen of East Tennessee, and the Back Country Horsemen
of America will continue to fight blatant discrimination against equestrian
use of public lands and the Chattahoochee-Oconee situation certainly
applies.

Join us??.

Jim Holland
www.bchng.org
Secretary, Back Country Horsemen of North Georgia
Director and Webmaster, Southern Appalachian Back Country Horsemen
AERC Trail Master
Benton McKaye Trail Association
Appalachian Trail Conservancy
Forest Service Chain Saw, Crosscut Saw, and Wildland Fire Certified
Chattahoochee National Forest, Conasauga Ranger District ?Team Cohutta?
Volunteer
Cohutta Wilderness ?Limits Of Acceptable Change? Task Force
???
Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm
175 Hells Hollow Drive
Blue Ridge, Ga 30513
(706) 258-2830
www.threecreeksarabians.com
Callsign KI4BEN
Subject: Re: cross country riding v/s designated trails and resource
preotection.

Well said.? I have made it known that I would volunteer my design?services
as a landscape architect with former Forest Service design?experience.? We
need to keep a proactive relationship with land managers and work together
to ensure that we can have continued access that is sustainable.? Many user
created trails?follow fall lines or?portions of?old logging roads that are
oversteep.? I would like to see new trails and portions of existing ones
coming together to create a multi use system that provides adequate
opportunities for recreation by equestrians and other users.? Setting up an
adversarial relationship with land managers does not do us any favors in the
long run.
?
Just my 2 cents.
?