[RC] [RC] Pioneer Strategy - Peter Harper - Dream Weaver

At Fort Stanton several
riders told me it was better
to ride the same horse three days in a row rather than
alternate horses.  Their argument was with a rest day
the horse will stiffen up from the previous day's ride
and it was better to keep riding them for the three
consecutive days and then switch horses for the next
three days.

Pete - if one of my horses ends up stiff and sore from a day off while being alternated on a mutliday ride then I need to change my management of that horse, either in how I rode them or in their post ride care.  If they are stiff and sore, then they probably really needed that day off, and maybe more than one.  I've done it both ways - ridden the same horse (Chief has been a XP Gold Medal horse twice, which means he did all of the XP rides in a single year), and I've also done lots of alternating him and my other horses, like on the 2001 XP.  How you do it depends on what your goals are and what each horses strengths are.  I rode Chief all 6 days of the Fort Stanton ride once and while he did great I wouldn't do that with him again - too much repetitiveness and we both were nearly insane by the time that ride was over.  If I did FS again I would alternate horses every other day.  I think in a lot of ways riding Chief on the multidays that I have has ruined him for doing one day rides or rides that repeat very much trail, or that go back to camp during the day. So he is best suited to do the 'out of camp all day' or point to point type of mutliday rides, which is what I prefer (horse and I are a lot alike <g>).  He's not a particularly good one day horse, but excels at multidays.  Last year I alternated him and really think he prefers not to be alternated.  I much prefer riding him after he's already done a day or two consecutively.

One good thing with alternating horses is that you can keep multiple horses in condition that way and it may allow you to participate in more rides throughout the season.  However, a single horse can also do that if they are managed carefully.  I do like giving them a break so think that alternating is also a great way to go, especially while developing a new horse.  The decision can simply be made based upon how the horse handles it mentally (though physically should also factor in).  I want my horses to enjoy what they are doing, and remain happy throughout the entire ride and ride season.  The only real way to answer your question is to go and ride your horses more and see what works best for each of them!  ;-)

Karen