[RC] strangles vaccine - Amy Major

I have been lerking and just because this is interesting to me on a professional level, I have attached some information.  These are abstracted from scientific journals.  One was a study done in England and the other I am not sure as I could view the abstracted information.  I don't follow the animal science journals so I can't speak to the quality of these journals (maybe Dr Garlinghouse can interject).  But at least they looked at very high numbers of immunized animals. There may be many others but I have to get back to work here.

In my estimate of these studies, it seems that adverse reactions DID occur from the IM vaccine.  However, apparently all cases in these studies were due to wild type (not vaccine-associated) Strep Equi.  What that means is that in these cases (I am not talking about the personal experiences of others who posted on this) the bacteria was typed so extensively using many different molecular techniques that they could narrow down the exact bug isolated from lavage samples.  It was actually NOT the same as what was in the vaccine vial.....therefore one suggestion was that suspected asymptomatic carriers may have been present in the herd.  I have highlighted important text.

Just for your perusal.....not to start a debate.  So if you want a debate...I am not your gal!  I just thought it was interesting.

OK for those interested enough, here are the articles.....

Waller and Jolley 2007.  The Veterinary Journal. Vol 173. pps 492-501.

quote: "
In the 13 months after its launch in 2004, 24,000 doses of Equilis StrepE were sold in the UK. Suspected adverse reactions have been reported for approximately 0.2% of doses administered, the majority being lip swellings as described in the product datasheet. In a few instances where strangles disease occurred after vaccination, horses were found to be infected with ?wild type? bacteria rather than having vaccine-induced disease."

Newton, King and Waller. 2005. Vet Record. Vol 156 pps 291-292

Abstracted information
English Title: Investigation of suspected adverse reactions following strangles vaccination in horses.
Personal Authors: Newton, R., King, A., Waller, A.
Author Affiliation: Animal Health Trust, Landwades Park, Kentford, Newmarket CB8 7UU, UK.
Document Title: Veterinary Record, 2005 (Vol. 156) (No. 9) 291-292

Abstract:
In response to a small number of recent suspected adverse reactions occurring shortly after vaccination with a licensed strangles vaccine, several differential diagnostic methods have been developed and applied by the Animal Health Trust (AHT): PCR assays to differentiate the vaccine strain from field strains of Streptococcus equi; DNA sequencing to differentiate appropriate genome regions of S. equi from S. zooepidemicus; and DNA sequencing of regions of the M-protein to subtype and differentiate strains of S. equi. Two cases of suspected adverse reactions in horses following strangles vaccination are reported. Through PCR and DNA sequencing, the clinical signs (abscessation) have been confirmed as not due to genetic reversion of the vaccine strain or associated with infection with the vaccine strain of S. equi. It is recommended that veterinary surgeons dealing with the continuous cases of strangles on premises using vaccination consider the possibility that subclinically infected carriers might be contributing to such persistence, and that this should be thoroughly investigated if further strangles is to be prevented.

Publisher: British Veterinary Association