[RC] Just one more thing on euthanasia - Lynn White

Everyone should know how to euthanize a horse with a
.22.  I don't know about you, but if my horse was
seriously injured and in excrusiating pain/shock I
wouldn't want to wait around for a vet.  What are you
going to do if you are in the middle of nowhere and
your horse falls, is seriously injured and you have no
way of getting him to treatment? What about if your
horse gets botulism?

Many people do it WRONG. They will shoot their horse
between the eyes.  I shudder to think of the futher
suffering that is caused.

I got this off the following website:

http://www.petcaretips.net/euthanasia_horse.html

"If your horse is in pain or badly injured, it may be
dangerous or
impossible to use an injection. A horse experiencing
shock may
lack the circulation necessary to distribute the drug
to his
brain or heart. For this reason, veterinarians may
need a backup.
A .22-caliber pistol is a good choice.

The gun should be placed perpendicular to the forehead
in the
center of an X formed by drawing a line between the
horse's right
ear and left eye and left ear and right eye. If done
correctly,
death is instantaneous."

In the USA one can pick up a low-end .22 caliber
pistol at a reasonable price.  Hey, you are not going
to any pistol shooting competitions with it, so you
shouldn't have to spend too much on one. Ammo for a
.22 is inexpensive. Go to a gun show or a pawn
shop...there were always many for sale that those
places!

I have a freind that has put down three horses this
way (two of them his own) in the last year.  One got
botulism, one got into barbed wire so bad it was
almost bled to death, and one just had a freak
accident and nearly tore off a front foot. There was
no way to save any of these horses, and I think this
man did a great service to them by ending their
suffering quickly.

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/