[RC] euthanasia - Spottedracer

Yes, drug euthanasia CAN be humane... Granted, this is what Vet Textbooks say on the subject: "It can take up to 20 minutes, horse may have multiple Seizures, and personel should stand back to avoid injury due to thrashing limbs.."

I've had to have three elderly horses put down. First two had such low blood pressure, the vet had to inject drugs through rectum. Took 30 minutes from start to finish. Last horse had to be put down due to EPM complications (a rescue, who's owner hadn't bothered to have him diagnosed. Treatment worked - BUT- there was permanent damage to hind-gut control. Which worsened.).. Drove him to one of the best vets in the area, He went down in the trailer relatively fast (10 minutes) - but did break a leg while thrashing.

I tried to have a fourth horse put down - a weak 'surviving twin' who contracted a flesh-eating infection.  Vet gave her enough painkillers to 'kill a belgium' - didn't due much but make her feel better.  Exhusband (a hunter) - used his high-powered rifle. She was dead in 1 second, no thrashing..Very peaceful..

- LP