[RC] Slaughter question - Donna Coss

Perhaps it is a good thing that the horse only has ONE baby and not LITTERS! Cats and dogs
can reproduce very quickly--a cat can easily be pregnant by the age of 7-8 months and if not
spayed, will have a litter about every 5-6 months, unless spayed or dies a natural or unnatural death.

Back in the 70's, when I bred show cats, the neuter/spay agreements were never used. I began
advertising this way and eventually the registries for dogs and cats, came up with PET registrations
and breeding approval registrations. At least a step in the right direction! Now, it is fairly common!

Horses, because of the fact that it will take a year to reproduce and a year of production, makes
the numbers increase at a slower level. It is easy to castrate a horse, not so easy to spay a mare!

IF ONLY, the PETA people has spent all their effort in finding ways to *end *reproduction in humane
and effective ways! There have been trials that worked in feral herds. Wild mustang populations,
with all that PETA money, could have used it to fund trials to stop reproduction. And perhaps when
I sold a horse I could assure my horse could not reproduce. Sort of like a neuter/spay agreement!!

They also could fund ways to deal with humane slaughter. Even though the federal plants are inspected,
there are better ways to effectively calm horses so that the process is 100% safe. They have done this
in slaughter plants for cattle, sheep etc. Why not put money out to find ways to lessen the panic etc. like
has been done for other meat animals?

Instead all the do-gooders who just wanted to STOP all slaughter-- have effectively made it even worse.
Hundreds of horses are being sent to Mexico where their spinal columns are cut and they are hoisted and
throats cut--conscience for too long, I am sure!

The courts in the end will determine that Cavel can legally slaughter horses, because the U.S. government
cannot dictate what the Europeans want to eat! It is a moral issue and I do not believe anyone can dictate
moral values-- successfully, anyway! In the meantime, horses are going to Mexico! I hope
all of you that oppose slaughter realize this fact!!