[RC] Lost my 50 miler mount.... - Spottedracer

WELL....... Looks like I won't be doing a 25 - then -50 at BSF this year... Yep, lost my 50 miler mount last sat...

No, it wasn't injury, nor illness, nor death, nor sale (NOT for sale!)

It was the HUGE smile on my student who suffers from physical/mental disabilities! You see, she was going to do the ride-n-tie with her Triathlete father - using my daughter's 13hh SSpony. But then the 12 year old hit a growth spurt - and is now taller than I am. With the forecasted heatwave, and the fact that this SSpony will be doing an LD with my daughter on Thurs - I just didn't know IF the pony could handle a 10 miler with a rider double the weight - just two days later....

Fallon has a HARD time changing ANYTHING! Has even raised hell and wanted to leave when I switched her to a larger saddle - took her over a week of daycamp just to switch from the pony to my young Paso fino. (wanted to leave the first half of that week!)... But Sat. she WANTED to 'jump' (we 'jump' 12"-18" obstacles).. She can no longer 'jump' on the pony, and the Fino isn't allowed to due to age - so Fallon WANTED (yes WANTED!!) to ride my 'best jumper'... Which happens to be my 50 miler mount.  So on she mounted - a different saddle, different mount. Within one lap she was gaiting, within 30 minutes she was cantering - then jumping.. No complaining, no fear - just a HUGE smile!!

So since Ginger's a solid, fairly bombproof mount. Not bothered by leading, following or going alone. (expecially AFTER doing a 25 and/or 50 the day before - and IF we don't stall her..)  So cheer on the kid on that chestnut Rocky Mountain Appy - trailing her father... She's come further than we ever expected!

- Laura P.. (BTW cheer up her dad - he's doing a triathlon in KY the weekend prior - but his wife WON'T let him cancel the ride-n-tie!)