[RC] tack questions - Spottedracer

Ahh, with endurance you've got the whole motley of riders with different views... Some manage to complete every ride they enter in (25/50) in nothing but a home-made bareback pad with a padded girth (no horse soreness)... Some manage to complete in every ride they enter in - using those $2,500 specialty endurance saddles with $100 specialty girths..

Regardless of what TYPE of tack you use, or how inexpensive/expensive it is.. Here's some basic guidlines to follow:  If you can do an all-day trail/training ride with no rubs nor soreness (to you or your horse) - your tack will probably work for endurance. If an all-day ride causes rubs/soreness to either of you - modify and/or change tack.

  Cotton girth covers ($4-5 in Jeffers) have worked wonderfully for me. Unlike many here who ride with 'loose girths' - I have to train with tight girths due to the 45-60 degree bluffs that make up my trail.  If you train with tight girths - make sure that you 'stretch' their front legs after tightening to eliminate any pinching..

Gel-filled seat covers also work well for the majority of riders. Although I compete bareback (can't use stirrups due to disability) - When I'm training, I'm generally ponying one of my mounts off of my other mount. So I use a $150 Australian Stock saddle (only 20lbs...).. Using a saddle in training actually 'hardens' my butt for riding 50-100 miles bareback over a weekend. (Granted riding 'bareback' I'm sitting on 4" of foam padding... He, he, can't fit that much padding in a saddle!)

Good luck!  And do it the way it works for YOU and YOUR horse!
- Laura Peck