[RC] Barn Sale in Arkansas - Lynn White

Golly, I wish you people would read entire posts
sometimes instead of getting all defensive and all.
In my post the words "backyard breeder" are never
mentioned.  I said "good breeder."  There are some
breeders I know that have one or two foals a year and
do their homework.  They have homes already picked out
or have a definate plan for the progeny.  Then there
are the notorious "backyard breeders" who just want a
foal because it's cute and they can go to their jobs
and brag that their mare threw a buckskin or whatever.
No matter that the foal will be WORTHLESS in two
years because these people have no intention of ever
doing anything with it.  And you are correct in saying
that some of the worst offenders of unwanted horses
come from those huge breeding farms.  I spent a winter
watching about 50 horses from a so-called big time
Arabian breeder slowly starve to death because she
would not part with one for  under $3000.  She would
rather let them starve to death before going under
some unreasonable amount.  So about ten of them
starved to death before the Humane societey finally
stepped in (after about 200 or so calls from us
neighbors).  I've been really lucky in that my grade
mare is as tough as nails and loves endurance. But I
did do my conformation homework and I knew what I was
looking for.  I also bought an over-willing  worn-out
cow pony to start endurance on.  I was new to horses
and just didn't know any better.   She had navicular
so bad that I had to put her down...broke my heart but
I can't stand to see my buddies suffer.  I've rescued
a starving horse too.  Good breeders are just people
that CARE about the long term and can actually
visualize a future for the foal BEFORE it is
conceived.  Just my two cents.

Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car
Finder tool.
http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/