Re: [RC] Arkansas Sale Barn - SandyDSA

In a message dated 8/10/2007 4:27:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, lazykfarm@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I wish people wouldn't immediately point fingers at so-called
"backyard breeders" as the source of unwanted horses.  Has anyone
done the research to show that backyard breeders flood the market?
Seems to me that we just heard about loads of unwanted well-bred,
well-trained horses that may very well have come from "professional
breeders" who make their living creating horse after horse after
horse.
uh- you are SO RIGHT - and you peeps would be shocked to hear who some of the BIGGEST offenders of overproducing are, and some of them produce so much JUNK I am shocked they can HIDE them - but hide them they do. I know - I got one from one big, highly respected breeder. NO names here and don't check my name under AHA because this mare was moved on before I ever transferred her due to her parrot mouth, inability to produce without expelling her UTERUS and her horrific rear end - that sucker wouldn't push a penny up a hill. Too bad too - she had a sweet face and a sweeter temperament.

Don't blame the people who produce a foal or two every year or two, sell one or two and keep one or two. Take a closer look at the big ranches of "elite" horses, producing hundreds of foals (between their own mares and outside mares)year after year, dumping them year after year, most without papers, some for a few hundred $$. In the end, even the ones they keep as "champions" (you know, halter, EP etc) end up doing not much, cast aside, and ultimately at those auctions, because they have not been bred or trained to do anything useful - and the "industry " doesn't care because it is so focused on the greased up, clipped up trotting fool of a national champion EP or halter horse, while that horse's siblings go on down the road to auction or worse.  Lots of trees to bark up but I think this "backyard owner" tree is small potatoes. JMHO

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com