Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Narrow trails at Tevis - Crysta Turnage - Sisu West Ranch

"...I can't say I understand the logic of the restriction..."

We are talking government here, no need for logic.  The Big Creek Lakes Reserviour Association, which owns the dam that stores water in the wilderness for irrigation this time of year, has continuing problems with the Forest Service over the wilderness rules.  In our case the first dam was put up in 1905 but the area did not become wilderness until after 1964.

It is possible that the original construction predated wilderness designation.  It is possible to get motorized exemptions for particular projects, but extremely hard.  In our case the Fores Service got objections from as far away as Florida that a particular project was really a disguised way to dispoil the wilderness.  I suspect the use of a machine on the Tevis trail would cause the same reaction.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875