[RC] RE:Narrow trails - Carol Stiles

This has probably already been said, I jumped into this late, but I know that Greg had a contractor go in and fix the part of the trail by Ford's Bar that was corroded. The rest of the Tevis trail I'm sure Roger, like the rest us, has been over many times. Why don't they widen the trail, well a lot of it is solid rock on the sides... I think it comes down to this... you don't do Tevis unless you have a horse that you trust on these trails. And even then a horse can take a bad step when it's tired. Heck they can take a bad step when they're not tired, just acting goofy like Arabs do. Don't be afraid to do Tevis if you're afraid of narrow trails and heights. I am afraid of narrow trails and heights,  but have disciplined myself not to look down. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you are afraid, don't let that stop you from doing Tevis. I have not finished Tevis in the legitimate "official" ride, but have rode the whole trail by myself several times. Remember, there is nothing to fear but fear itself. If you get scared you simply get off and walk. No big deal. Who knows if they'll ever "fix" the whole trail, chances are, probably not, simply because of cost. But it is safer today than it was 20 years ago. Would you really want a 4 ft. wide trail the whole way with, say a guardrail? It would be nice , but it wouldn't be Tevis then, it wouldn't be a challenge. Personally, I think I like the adrenalin rush when you look down and say "Holy @#0!, that's a long ways down!" Isn't that why we do Endurance, for the adrenaline rush? And that doesn't mean I don't feel for Roger, I know Roger, and I can't speak for him, but personally I don't want the trail made into a dang freeway, I like the technicalities, no matter how difficult, because that what makes it "Tevis". And I'm sure I'll get critized for this but frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
Carol

"Ain't no horse that can't be rode. Ain't no rider that can't be throwed."   Cowboy wisdom