[RC] Narrow trails/ recommended reading. - rides2far

I know I've recommended Isabella Bird's "A Lady's life in the Rocky
Mountains" but now I'll recommend her less known book: "Letters to
Henrietta". Here's an exerpt of her decription of riding in Hawaii where
she was one of the few white women to make the trip up the cliffs on
horseback to see the people who lived on the other side.  This is her
trip up the pali. On the trip down she totally lost it. That's another
good description. She was born in 1831. This was maybe 1870s?

snip<

The guide went first and it was most unpleasant to see his horse
straining and stumbling. I dared not look at anything but his  horse's
feet for everyone had told me to be sure not to look down and there
seemed such an irresistible fascination about looking down. My horse went
up nobly and wisely but slipping  scrambling and jumping and sending
stones down. Once hanging by his forefeet and for a moment I execrated my
merciful spurs which could not hurt him. The higher we went the narrower
and worse it grew. Sometimes I had to take my left foot and hold it
alongside the horses neck to prevent it being crushed while my right hung
over a precipice 1000 feet deep. Then we came to a place where the path
had been caried away leaving only a declivity of loose gravel. You can
hardly realise how dificult it was to get off where there was nothing to
get off on. I somehow got down under the horse and then taking hold of
his hind legs screwed myself carefully behind him. Then Hananui drove the
animals on. It was hideous to see the legs of the surefooted creatures
going quite down in the gravel as though they would slide quite down the
pali hideous to cross these places myself which I culd only do by the
guide getting his foot firmly planted and giving me a hand when for 3
steps I put my foot against his both feet sliding.