Re: [RC] [RC] Mari Smultea finish Tevis? - Dawn Carrie

Dawn,
She did not finish.  :(  She and I left Foresthill together.  Maybe 5 (???) miles out, she and her horse fell off the trail...fortunately there were trees and brush at that location that stopped them about 30 feet down.  She and her mare were banged up and scraped up but not seriously hurt.  I stopped and we spent about 45 minutes trying to get her horse back up on trail, but it was just too steep...the slope gave way and the horse fell back down.  Eventually some sweep riders came along and tried with the same result.  They eventually told me to continue on...I had pulled a groin muscle in the attempt and could only walk, so when I got to Cal 2 (7 mi from Franciscos) and a volunteer, I got a trailer ride out, as I would have been OT at Franciscos.  I heard that they had to send a crew in a daylight and build a new trail up to the main trail to get the horse out, but they did succeed, and both Mari and her horse were ok.  :)

Mari was great fun to ride with...turns out she did her Master's degree at Texas A&M as did I (she in fisheries biology, me in wildlife biology), and we missed each other there by only a year!  We had great fun chatting while we rode together.  She has a very nice horse...I hope she tries the ride again (I know I will!)

Dawn Carrie, Texas