From: Bruce Weary DC <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Foot Pain
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:33:00 -0700

Hi Sarah--
Two of my favorite sayings in health care are: "There are only two things in the world you can cure--bacon and ham." and, "When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras." In your case, you may actually be able to cure your foot pain. I address this problem because it is quite common among distance riders. Secondly, it's more likely a "horse" not a "zebra" in that your problem isn't likely to be from pathology, Patrick's comments about cysts notwithstanding, since they do occur, but are rare. You have all heard of carpal tunnel syndrome. It is named for the "tunnel" formed by the wrist bones, or "carpals," through which the median nerve passes into the hand. Impingement from various structures in the neck, arm, wrist or hand can produce the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. It is often overdiagnosed and misdiagnosed, but still very common in today's "keyboard world." Similar bones, called "tarsals" exist in the foot and are very tightly packed, to allow weight bearing and some mobility in the foot. There are tiny nerve branches that pass through the "tarsal tunnels" to get to the front of the foot and the toes. Prolonged pressure, exactly like that produced in horseback riding, can cause these nerves to go numb, tingle, ache or burn. It may take varying amounts of time in the saddle to produce it, some people get it more than others, and some not at all. If the joints of the feet are functioning normally, there is usually no problem as long as the rider is conditioned for long times in the saddle. If these joints become dysfunctional, or "stuck" there is less wagon room for these nerves to glide and move, making them more prone to the effects of prolonged pressure. With me so far? The best treatment I know of for this condition, and I have treated it hundreds of times, is foot manipulation. If you can find a chiro or osteopath who is skilled in foot manipulation, you're fortunate. It provides amazing relief, and along with proper riding shoes, stirrups, and letting the foot hang out of the stirrup from time to time usually cures the problem. Just like a good slab of bacon or country ham. FWIW, Dr Q