Re: [RC] dressage for trail - Jlwarabs

Hi Beth-
    I train all my horses and clients with dressage basics to convert to trail use =) and when we are doing our conditioning rides we generally just shoot for what I call 'flat'  which I think is the same as you are describing, some contact on the bit still, definitely working off the rear end, but only starting to be truly round.  We don't ask them to actually work round.  Sometimes on a good flat stretch I will ask for more, especially if the horse has been lacking focus, it brings their brain back where you want it.  Then we do circle work/arena work at home in order to keep building those proper muscles, to make it easier for them out on the trail.
    My reasons for doing it that way are: I think you are asking too much to ask for true roundness for the length of time we trail ride/condition ride- most dressage trainers work the horse round for 45 minutes or so, it is like weight training- they just can't sustain it that long; they can't maintain true roundness when they aren't on a flat smooth surface, dodging rocks, trees, climbing etc... interferes with that; and I know that I am not a good enough rider to be that consistent while negotiating obstacles on the trail either!    I still ride with connection, and we want to be balanced and focused, but just not quite as finished as the true show ring dressage horses are.
    Hope that helps- JMO =)
        Jennifer

My inclination (and my instructors')
is to ask for just enough so that he isn't inverted.  He can have his
nose poked out and even have his head up a bit - just as long as he
isn't using his lower neck muscles.  This is quite a bit less than we
are working on in his lessons, but those only last an hour in a nice,
flat arena.  :)

Jennifer Whittaker
.MysticRoseArabians.com