[RC] Dealing with fill - Kristi Schaaf

My first distance horse never got any fill in his legs
after a ride, so I didn't pay much attention to all
those wrapped legs that I saw at AERC rides, and I
never had to worry about losing points in NATRC for
it. I'm a bit concerned because my
learning-to-be-a-distance horse gets pretty
significant fill. At age 9, with several years of LSD,
he did his first rides recently - an NATRC ride a few
weeks ago and a very slow LD this weekend, and at both
rides he had significant fill within a few hours of
finishing. It's all four legs (though the hinds are
worse) and it is at its worst within a few hours,
stays about the same overnight (I hand graze him in
the evening so he gets to move some, but I don't walk
him a lot), and the stocking up goes away with
movement the next day. I don't feel any heat and he
doesn't move the least bit stiff after standing on a
Hi-tie all night, but I really don't like the look of
the fill. So, some questions for those of you in the
know about it: is it a sign of too much stress, or are
some horses just prone to get it even when they're
conditioned enough for what's asked of them? Are all
those AERC riders wrapping legs out of habit or can I
assume that all the horses I see wrapped have issues
with fill (or are they wrapped more to support the
tendons rather than to discourage stocking up?) My
horse is barefoot and I ride in boots, so I wonder if
the boots (extra weight/breakover change) are causing
stress. He's never been shod and I haven't ridden him
long distances totally barefoot so I don't know if
he'd still get fill without the boots. I always
condition in them, and haven't noticed fill afterward,
but he doesn't have to stand around on a Hi-tie after
those rides. Also, any suggestions on what to use for
the wrap is appreciated. In the past, I've wrapped
with poultice/wet brown paper/cotton/vet wrap for
injuries; can I use that same system for fill, or is
it overkill and do I want to use something that dries
out sooner? It seems most horses that I saw at the
ride this weekend were wrapped with 'fuzzy' track
bandages but I don't know what was underneath.

Kristi

Life's a journey, so enjoy the ride (and try not to fall off)

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.