[RC] A late Tevis story - Chipnml

I have been in vacation limbo since Tevis...driving twisty turny roads in Mendocino and visiting Ridgeview Ranch, home of Seabiscuit.  So I've missed much of the Tevis talk, except for what I've read on the archives.  This is just an overview of some of my experiences there.

I just wanted to say it was not only an honor, but A LOT of fun crewing for Paul Sideo and Ron Chapman.  They are a couple of nice old farts....perfectly complementing Debbie Parson's and my role of "perfect nags".   The best thing about crewing for them is we could order them around, and they just did what we told them..."Sit Down!"  "I want this bottle of Gatorade GONE by the time you leave!" "Let me do that!"...I don't know about anyone else, but usually when I get that bossy with a man, they seem to resent it for some reason.  The biggest problem crewing for Paul was to get him to stop talking to everyone when he should be sitting down and eating during the checks.  At Foresthill he stood there, waving this big sloppy barbecue sandwich he'd bought and chatting away to someone until I finally told him "You have to stop talking now and sit down!"  Ron let me do all the nasty things to his horse, Barukh....kind of like playing "good cop, bad cop"....like giving electrolytes and putting his splint boots back on.  It got to the point where Barukh would give me the evil eye every time he saw me coming with a syringe.  Then Ron would pet him (good cop), hop on and ride off.  After seeing how well he's able to get on his horse, I have sworn not to use mounting block anymore, at least not while I'm still in my 50's.

Debbie and I hit it off last year when we met for the first time to crew for Pam and Don Bowen.  We both manage to see the funny side in everything, which considering we're two flatlanders in the mountains, is a good thing, because there's a lot to laugh at.  She is a masterful driver, manoevering Paul's 32 foot camper and horse trailer out of Robie Park, and although she did her share of screaming as we drove up to Robinson last year (I was leaning away from the edge to the point of almost being in her lap), she's gotten us up there two years in a row now, without going off the edge (one of the things that really tickled us was seeing the 6 inch shoulder with a sheer drop-off, and signs posted saying "DO NOT PARK ON SHOULDER"...to which I generally commented "NO SH-T!!!").  This year we followed two transport trailers up, which at least gave us some warning when trucks came flying around the corners going back down.

It is such a wonderful feeling to be gathered at the finish line in Auburn, straining your eyes through the dark and trying to see if the next rider is yours, and when it actually is you just can't help but whoop and scream.  You've been working toward this goal for 24 hours, and suddenly there they are...they're finished...and you know you were an integral part of getting them there.  Debbie and I kept telling people that we have completed our riders EVERY year we've crewed.....all TWO!  Although I hope to actually ride Tevis in a couple years (everytime my horse spooks I tell him "Do that at Tevis and you'll kill us both..."), the rewards of crewing should not be overlooked.