From: "Cunningham, Marci" <mcunningham@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Cougar Rock
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:46:19 -0700

My first climb over Cougar Rock was during the old Capital to Capital ride in 1987. I expected a much longer climb but it was over before I realized it. In 1992 I attempted my first Tevis and one of my goals was to get a good Cougar Rock picture. Before anyone criticizes someone for attempting to climb the rock you have to realize that the most coveted picture for most endurance riders is one going over Cougar Rock. In 1992 I got a great Cougar Rock picture even though I didn't get a buckle. I came back in 1993 and got both a picture and a buckle. My heart was pounding for both pictures and there was no bypass in those days. In 2001 I won an entry and went back to Tevis. The bypass was available and I took it but got pulled at Dusty Corners, the same place I was pulled in 1992, and I didn't get a picture or a buckle. I can see the reason for offering the bypass but going over Cougar Rock is part of the Tevis mystic. Would Wendell Robie be turning over in his grave if he knew about the bypass?

Marci Cunningham