[RC] Tevis - Bruce Weary

I had a great time at Tevis and I will write more later, but for now, I am home again, and Dayna will return with the horses tomorrow. Sugar is fine, and was having a great day on the trail, but she took a hard fall on her knees and face (nothing like the face of a white horse completely covered in thick red dust) in a rough, rocky downhill section. She got right up, with not cuts or abrasions, snorted the dust out of her nose and we went on. Later, at Last Chance, she recovered well, but her pulse wavered up a bit, and she had quiet gut sounds, though she had been eating and drinking ravenously all day. Jim Baldwin examined her, and while she was in no distress, her CRI was inadequate, and neither he nor I liked the idea of attacking those canyons with a horse that is less than 100%, so I pulled her. I want to compliment his skill, both as a vet and as a communicator. He made it very easy to do the right thing. Today, she is as bright and healthy as if she had been resting at home all weekend. Sugar is too good a horse to risk or ask too much of. In spite of pulling, I had a great time before, during and after the ride. The entire Tevis experience is truly an E-ticket ride. One good thing about being pulled at Tevis--you're always in good company. Many great riders missed the finish line, and understand that there is no disgrace in bowing to such a worthy adversary as the Sierras in summertime.
On an even brighter note, my riding partner, Barbara White, who was riding my wife's talented gelding, Crickett, garnered her 28th Tevis buckle. When it was clear that I had to pull we said a brief "good-bye and good luck" as we had agreed to do if something like this would happen. She tells me that Crickett was on the bit for the rest of the night, as he wanted to keep giving more. With discretion the better part of valor, Barbara steered him to the finish line at a conservative pace, with plenty left in his tank. She was greeted by a contingency of family and friends at the Overlook, perhaps most notably by her mother, Julie Suhr. The darkness of the warm Auburn night couldn't completely hide the knowing glances they exchanged, or the one or two tears of joy they shed. These two very private people, who never seek notoriety, but often have it thrust upon them, share a bond that goes beyond their mother-daughter relationship. They literally feel each other's joys and disappointments that the Tevis provides, in a way that only those who share a passion can understand. Between them, they are the proud owners of 50 Tevis buckles. That is a feat that may not be repeated in the next 100 years, or ever. Absolutely remarkable.
Thank you, Barbara, for trusting in Crickett, and for sharing half of the trail with me. And now, for you, it's on to buckle #29. May I remind you that Tevis is only 12 months away. I will be there again, as I know you will. Last one to Robie is a rotten egg. Bruce Weary