[RC] crew mistakes lighten up, people - oddfarm

.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Beth Walker" <bwalker2@xxxxxxx>
To: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Jeremy's crew mistake

Maybe if the crew members and riders were told (on the entry form, and at the ride meeting) what the penalties for not following the rules were (loss of placement, loss of consideration for BC, monetary fine for EACH member of the crew plus the rider -- say: double the entry fee for EACH person) they would pay more attention.

Rules regarding crews are strictly enforced. Crew violations may result in the rider being disqualified.

This is right on the homepage of the WST homepage. It's pretty clear. I am almost positive that when you sign up for this ride, you get a packet that has a hardcopy of the rules for riders and crews as well as what is written on the website. Just glancing over the crew recommendations as well as the rules give me the impression they are very strict and very serious about enforcing these rules. So the crew has to be educated to that fact so as not to jeopardize the rider.

Geeze, not only do you and your horse have to be fit and ready for the challenge, but you and your crew have to study, too!! Talk about a tough ride!!! ;)

I would just be happy to HAVE a crew! Don't be so hard on a crewing team, we ALL need one at one time or another. Unless you are picking your own worst enemies to crew for you, they are not getting up at 3 a.m. just to help you get ready, driving all day to get from one point to another, worrying if they have all your "stuff" at each check, listening to your whining, (not me, but I know everyone else does ;) and waiting for you ( 24 hours later for most riders) at the finish to cheer you on, just to get you disqualified.

'Cause, that wouldn't make any sense, would it?

This ride is like no other. With the webcast and postings going on all day, we all get caught up in the heat of the moment, even those of us who are not riding!

Lisa Salas, The Odd faRM