[RC] Tevis, True Sportsmanship and Horsemanship - paul

I appreciated being able to see and hear about the Tevis race winners, but
wanted to share this you folks. While riding at Tevis this week, I was
priviledged to see as great an act of sportsmanship and horsemanship I have
ever witnessed.

Stagg Newman had brought his great horse "Super" out west to compete at Tevis.
Since Super and he had ridden to  a first place tie only 7 weeks before at the
the Old Dominion, I am reasonablty sure that he came out there to win the ride.
It would be a noteworthy exclamation point on a great horses career.

During the ride,at the 56 mile mark, Stagg and Super vetted through at
Deadwood. They were with the leaders. Poised to strike and make a permanant
notation in the history books. With all that in his grasp, Stagg knew his horse
wasn't right. He had some metabolic issues. The vets ok'd him, through, but
Stagg knew his horse better than them and pulled, RO-M. Faced with the
temptation for choosing glory or his horses well being, Stagg chose not to risk
his horse. It does him and our sport credit.

Then in a further display of good sportsmanship, Stagg patiently waited at the
vet check for his trailer ride out. While waiting he took the time to encourage
and congratulate other riders as the got into the vet check. When he got back
to Auburn he took care of his horse, and then instead of sulking in his
trailer, getting drunk, and kicking a dog as lesser people might do, Stagg
stayed out at the finish line until the wee hours of the morning. He was
cheerfully welcoming and cheering riders home.

This is what the sport is about folks. He earned my respect more that day than
if he had won a dozen Haggin Cups

Paul Sidio
There was probably a rock out there on the Tevis Trail with my name on it but
it was mis-spelled  "SIDEO", so I missed it:)  Yippeee!!!