Re: [RC] Old horses - Beth Walker

My experience is with my previous horse. ?I "retired" him from endurance at about age 10 when he strained both front suspensories. ? I did mostly arena work with him for the next 12 years. ?When he was 23 (and I had a much better horseshoer) I started riding him back on trail -- just pleasure riding, starting at a walk. ?The more I did, the better his arthritis got and the better he seemed to feel. ? Just before his 25th birthday, when we were routinely doing 10 and 15 mile "pleasure" rides, with lots of trot and canter, I entered a 15-mile "fun ride", and he did so well, I decided to keep up his conditioning program. ?That January, I entered a 25 miler on my 25 year old horse, and he completed in very good shape at about 5 1/2 hours. ?(Unfortunately, I lost him the following month when he got kicked by another horse on a group ride, which broke his leg.)

For my conditioning -- I did about the same as you say you plan to do. ?I worked him up (over a 2 year period) to 15 and 20 miles in training so that he only had an extra 5 miles to go above what he was already used to. ?I have to say - those last two years were some of the best riding years I ever had with him. ?He was finally old enough to be sensible :), and was happy to be getting out and about. ?I was always reassured on those times when, at the end of a training ride, he wanted to go back out rather than back to the trailer!

I would not have asked him to do more than a 25, because that seemed to be about his limit. ?Other horses might be able to do more. ?