Re: [RC] helmets - Ericka Nelson

----- Original Message -----
From: jamie ward
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:00 AM
Subject: [RC] helmets

I don't understand why people would take the added risk of not wearing
a helmet, horses are dangerous enough as it is.When i say this  some
people i know i get very stupid replies like "my horse doesn't spook", I
just don't get it.

just want to tell my story here.  was bushwacking with some friends, one who never wears a helmet (who shall remain nameless).  he was riding another CRAZY horse.  i watched a little old rock roll on down this horse's hoof, and the horse bucked and bucked so hard, this high-milage-well-loved-by-many endurance rider came off.  this CRAZY horse then came down on unnamed riders ankle with a rear hoof.  didn't break anything, but provided a very deep, 10 (or so) sticher, which we proceeded to pack with dirty t-shirt and a bandaid...(gotta get that first aid kit together in my saddle bags!)  i said "you know ____ you really should be wearing a helmet!"  and ____ said, "a helmet, i don't need a helmet, my ankle needs a helmet!"   this story is meant for entertainment only, not to point fingers or to judge anyone's style of riding.
so, God's speed all you helmetless endurance riders.
ericka