Re: [RC] Abuse or Poor Judgment? - Diane Trefethen

Well, opinionated me hasn't weighed in on this yet because I expected someone else would point out the implications of AT being a professional. WE are amateurs. Amateurs get to be tired. Amateurs get to use bad judgment when our adrenalin is up. Amateurs get to take longer than it should to realize a problem and try to correct it. Professionals don’t. They are PAID big bucks not to so cutting them slack in these areas is totally unjustified.

Your daughter's appendix ruptures. You rush her to the Emergency Room where she is immediately operated on. The surgeon removes her appendix (and also nicks a few other internal organs and fails to remove all the effluent). She develops massive infections as a direct result of the surgeon's actions and dies two days later. Do you a) say he made a big mistake and shouldn't be allowed to practice for 2 months and fine him $2000, b) apologize for the fact he was under a lot of pressure, is in a life-saving profession and doesn't make a habit of killing people, or c) rip him a new one with a $50 million wrongful death lawsuit?

"I think Amy Tryon has admitted to hers and has to live with the consequences the rest of her life…" “I can only imagine how terrible this woman must feel...” Well, let's see just how badly she feels, how honorable she is. As a professional, the degree of her error was truly huge while her punishment less than the proverbial slap on the wrist. If she really is an honorable person, especially now that the Tribunal has spoken, she will come out with a statement wherein she admits to having made a terrible mistake, acknowledges that her punishment was not nearly strong enough, and announce that she is voluntarily withdrawing from competition for a period of 2 years, paying an additional $50,000 "fine" to an organization such as the Morris Foundation, and offering the horse’s owner a fair remuneration for the horse’s value plus a stipend for his pain and suffering. Now THAT would show some real remorse... sacrificing HER career and HER money for HER total lapse of professionalism. Bets anyone?