FW: [RC] Release to treat - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

As a vet that might be (and has been) handed such a release, my observation is that there are a lot of potential treatments that you might well want, but have not specifically authorized (and by providing a list of the procedures you authorize, a lot of vets would assume anything not on the list is therefore forbidden).  As well, “surgery” has a much broader definition than I think what you are trying to define here---I assume you’re probably saying don’t send the horse for abdominal colic surgery or arthroscopy---but you’re saying suturing is okay, which is also “surgery”.  Surgery can also include some pretty minor procedures that you’d probably want for your horse, such as such as removing a splinter from an eye, or a sharp stick that got poked into a joint.  But you’ve specifically forbidden that by saying “no surgery”.  Get my drift?

Also, I would have some trouble even accepting such a consent from someone who is only leasing the horse, but is not the owner.  What if the lessor says “I won’t pay more than $1000, so if it will cost more than that, put the horse down.”  The vet does that, and then gets sued by the actual owner, who (whoda thunk) would have been happy to pay the additional cost to save the horse.  You’re putting the vet in a bad position providing a consent for euthanasia from anyone other than the actual owner.

May I suggest something broader in nature that outlines your budget and humane desires for the horse rather than trying to specifically list procedures you’re okay with.  Something more like:

‘To the Attending Veterinarian;

I am the owner of the above named horse and have the authority to execute this consent.  In the event I cannot be contacted, I authorize emergency treatment for my horse “Fuzzy Flyer” as deemed necessary for the treatment of acute injury or disease.  I agree to be financially responsible for such veterinary services and medications up to the amount of $1000.  If, in your professional opinion, such injury or disease is life threatening, and/or the animal is suffering unbearable pain with little reasonable hope of recovery***, I authorize euthanasia and the removal of the body from the premises.  In the event that I am not available for consultation, I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the veterinarian for any damages which may result from services rendered in the treatment of my horse.’

*** A further notation to possibly include is YOUR definition of “recovery”.  Do you mean recovery so the horse can live without undue pain in a pasture somewhere?  Or is your definition of “recovery” limited to return to full competition within six months or less?  Most people are happy with the former, but recent events have certainly illustrated that some riders don’t view their horses as anything other than a means to a win.  You should spell it out by including something like, ‘For the purposes of this consent, I define recovery as <enter goals here>.’

Somewhere on the consent should also be a reasonable description of the horse, not just “my horse Fuzzy Flyer”, good contact information, an address, a credit card number (ideally, one you are authorized to have) and original signature.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM