Re: [RC] Europe rules vs. AERC rules - Sisu West Ranch

The worst ride for heat and humidity I have ever ridden was on Labor Day in MN.

One year it was 40 F and rain. A real nightmare for preventing cramps during vet checks, and at the finish line vet check.

The next year the day was in the high 90's and 100% humidity. Endurance riders ran slowly, sponged often in the lakes and streams, and poured water on at the checks and the finish line.

Wendy and I and a few others were riding a 25 CTR. Now this means that you can not sponge in camp, and you must go at the prescribed pace. As is usual we had a 4 hour 30 minute ride time plus a half hour hold at the half way point. This pace is usually fast enough to provide a spectrum of scores so not everyone ties for first place. Part way through the second, 15 mile loop, we all realized that there was no way we would get the pulse/respiration scores down in the 36/8 range we were used to, and that we might not even get them down to the 68 required [Before the vultures swarm, UMECRA CTR has 68 for the continuation/ completion pulse, but horses are not dying left and right. The reason it has not changed since the dark ages is that almost never is a CTR pulse (10 minutes after arrival, no water) above 48 or so] We all decided that we would continue at a walk, with the aim to come in 55 minutes late. Since we all would be together we all would loose the 55 time points. It worked. [Please also note: the vet and RM can authorize sponging under extreme weather. This day it was not allowed. Nobody thought it would be that hot or humid when the ride started.]

My point is there are sufficiently brutal weather conditions in the good ole' USA to strain any rigid rule. We do not have to look overseas.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875