Re: [RC] Europe rules vs. AERC rules - Truman Prevatt

Ah, the new motto - get low close your eyes and let 'er rip. Of course when that happened with an unsafe finish line some years ago the Protest Committee ruled that the RM was at fault because someone got hurt at the finish. I like your idea - lets put the finish at the back of camp so the entire camp can see the race. It will sort 'em out because the wimps won't apply. Of course if the front runners race through camp, pump over some poor LD finished sitting in his chair sucking down a brew - and the poor guy take a big gulp while he's diving under his truck and chocks to death - the AERC would probably get all pissy over it. They just can't seem to make up their minds.

Truman

Jody Rogers-Buttram wrote:
Truman,
I could have told you that. But, it doesn't seem to matter what "we" think. You know, the problem is, that you can't apply a blanket fix to everything. And maybe there is a better way to go about it. As far as the rides that have a finish far from camp, I say we go back to what it use to be. Forget about safety, just finish in camp. What happens then, is the whinnies loose in the run offs. I've seen it happen LOTS. The rider that is stupid/brave/crazy enough to run thru pavement, horse trailers, fences, trees, whatever....they win. Then they might have some vision as to the benefits of a "safe finish".
As for me, I can run thru trees with the best of them.

*/Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    I was doing some work today where I was having to debug a mapping
    application. While taking a break to allow my eyes to refocus - I
    decided to just look at a map. The US latitude runs from 24 deg to 48
    degrees. In the US Denver is 39.75 degrees, Seattle is 47.6,
    Washington
    DC is about 39 degrees, LA is about 34 and Miami is about 25 degrees.
    Now for Europe:

    The UK runs from 50 to 58
    France runs from 43 to 50
    Germany runs from 47 to 54
    Spain is the furtherest south 35 to 43.

Israel is runs from 29 to 33.

    As far as climate the average temp in Paris is 55 to 75 in July, with
    Germany running about the same. in the UK the average July temps run
    from (54 to 71) in London to (51 to 66) in Edinburgh and today it
    is 81
    degrees at my house. We all know what our temps are like in July -
    particularly East of Big Muddy.

    It is little wonder that Europe is quite happy with 30 minutes and we
    are having a debate. Except for Spain Europe, is more north than
    Denver,
    which is about half way North to South in the US. From what I
    remember
    Israel does not use 30 minutes at the end. Because Europe is so much
    further than the US - they don't face many of the same issues when it
    comes to endurance.

    It seems based on basic geography and the resulting climatic
    conditions
    - the rule used in Europe is not all that relevant to the
    conditions in
    the US.

Truman

--

    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
    into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel <http://travel.yahoo.com/hotelsearchpage;_ylc=X3oDMTFtaTIzNXVjBF9TAzk3NDA3NTg5BF9zAzI3MTk0ODEEcG9zAzIEc2VjA21haWx0YWdsaW5lBHNsawNxMS0wNw--> to find your fit.

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil