Re: [RC] teaching horses to pony - rides2far

What techniques> should I use to assure that my mustang doesn't fear
ponying the
filly?> What can I do to assure her safety so he doesn't kick back at
her?
Are> there any written or video references you might suggest on
teaching
horses to pony?  What have I forgotten to ask?  Thanx for your help.

Questions you forgot to ask:

When my ponied horse balks, how can I make myself remember to turn loose
of the rope *before* I'm yanked off my horse?

How do I learn to coordinate my hands so that my left hand tightens the
grip on the reins and stops the horse I'm riding while my right hand
*loosens* the grip on the rope to let it play out rather than the
opposite, which means the horse I'm riding continues forward as my right
hand tightens on the rope to the ponied horse (the smell of burning flesh
and smoke coming off your palm may help on this one).

What do you do about a fast approaching huge spiderweb across the trail
when your left hand is engaged controlling your mustang and your right
hand is dragging a reluctant ponied horse?

What do you do when the ponied horse's rope is caught under your pony
horse's tail, which is clamped tight and the horse begins to spin and
back? Followup: what is the best treatment for ropeburn under the tail?

When climbing on your pony horse, and your ponied horse begins to walk
forward, and you throw your leg over your saddle only to find you're
sitting on the rope, and you just kicked the ponied horse, what is the
best way to explain a rope burn on your butt to an average physician?

What made me think I wanted to give my ponied horse enough slack to be
able to turn his rump and give my horse & me a double whammy?

Angie (who avoids ponying)