[RC] CRI's and heart monitors - Alissa Norman

I'd be curious to hear how ride managers address the task of pulse taking
and CRI's to ensure fairness.

Mary, our volunteers take pulses with stethescopes. We try to find volunteers who know how to use them.

We do, however, own a couple hand held monitors that we can use if need be.

But our pulse takes are just that. They only take and write down the pulse. They don't do CRI's.

Our wonderful vets do the CRI's, and they are ADAMENT that they use stethescopes. They want to hear how
the heart beats, not just that it has a beat.

And we mark out lanes in the vetting area, so each horse trots out the same distance.

Also, because we know sometimes finding a pulse is an issue for volunteers, your pulse time is
recorded as when you cross the pulse line. So if it takes a volunteer five minutes to find a pulse
on that "hard to hear" horse, you really are being benefitted (hopefully you'll have a lower pulse)
than penalized, as your pulse time is recorded as when you entered the pulse area.

Alissa
Foxcatcher Endurance
Maryland