[RC] Rice bran and beet pulp - sherman

You can also feed LOTS more beet pulp without any problems. My working
horses get closer to 6-8 cups of beet pulp as well as 2 pounds of oats
and all the hay they want (but I don't let them waste it either). I'll
sometimes all the rice bran or even flax seed, either whole or freshly
ground, whatever I have time for.

Regarding the Panacur or Safeguard purge, if you haven't done any
research on it yet you may want to do that. It's the ONLY WAY to rid
your horse of encysted small strongyles. Don't use Quest and think
you've eliminated them as Quest only removes a small amount, yet is so
strong that it can cause colic. Fenbendazole (active ingredient in
Safeguald/Panacur) is very mild and safe and will eliminate MOST of the
encysted small strongyles.

I've seen several horses start picking up weight almost immediately
after the purge treatment. You can buy a bottle of liquid suspension
from Valley Vet for $104 (it's in the farm supply section) and it'll
treat 4-5 horses depending on their weight. It stores for a long time,
so you can use it for a couple of years if you only have a couple of
horses, if you only have one horse you could share with your horsie
friends, and you'll all have healthier horses.

Kathy

Lonnie wrote:

She is fed a good quality four way grass hay and up to 2 cups of soaked
beet pulp, twice a day. I was considering taking the foal off earlier
than I like because the mare was getting so thin when I remembered the
stabilized rice bran.