RE: [RC] [RC] Horse Death, Thelma and Louise, etc. - Ranelle Rubin

Renee,

I have stayed quiet on this issue due primarily to my lack of intimate knowledge about the details. It has been almost 20 years since I got involved in this sport. My involvement has been more in starting and conditioning horses for others. I have had the good fortune to be mentored by people who rode with Wendel Robie, and were integral in the development of our beloved sport. It has not become what you fear for the most part. I do see a trend developing in some new-comers to the sport reflective of financial gain. When the market fell out of the Arabian breeding industry with the exception of those who show at the national level, change occurred. Endurance horses can now be marketed successfully if they have a decent competition record.

If I understand the circumstances of this rider even riding this horse, she was riding it as a "prospect for sale". So, this leads me to the question of, "Why was the owner not riding the horse?"

I have a problem with SOME lease situations. I was involved in the leasing of a horse to an international rider, but with the condition he ride with a good friend who had over 20 Tevis finishes at the time. He finished 23rd, and later bought the horse to ship to Japan. It was a unique situation. Riders who do not know the horse, and are novice riders IN OUR SPORT, IMO do well to ride with a mentor. There are many riders who are better riders technically than alot of us, but do they know how to detect early signs of distress???

One thing that has crossed my mind is to have some sort of certification to lease or otherwise ride a horse that does not belong to you. I know this would be full of challenges to manage, set up, and monitor..but some thought into this might be prudent. I have seen riders who lease a horse who do not have the knowledge to know when the horse is in trouble...and this is a pet peeve of mine!

OK...now I need to go ride...!

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor