[RC] Things to think about - oddfarm

I'm just going to throw some things out there for discussion. Even if this story has no truth to it, it does raise some questions that we should at least think about.

True, you can't learn someone, but if indeed there is a story put out there that a horse has died
as a result of an AERC ride, doesn't the HWC have an obligation to investigate at the very least?

Does the HWC has to wait for an invitation or a protest to pick up the phone and make a call? The day this girl posted this story, someone from the HWC could have picked up the phone to verify this story and then followed through with the appropriate measures. Last time I checked, it was not illegal to call someone to discuss concerns over animal or child welfare. Members of the HWC read ridecamp and members forum, too. There were quite a few posts about the behavior of the two people and their treatment to the horses. Did anybody have a conversation with them ever? Does the HWC have to wait for someone else to call and make a report?

Laura has said in the past that if we report concerns to the HWC, it would be looked into. After all, isn't that what it was set up for? To educate riders who may not be making the best decisions for the horses and hopefully prevent such tragedies? I'm thinking theses girls could not have care LESS about education. Obviously, they thought they knew it all. So what if the rider has won a championship ride? That doesn't mean a darn thing.

Discussions need to take place about the history of these two members and decisions made as to what the future holds for their memberships. I guarantee these two will think nothing of coming back to the sport. No conscience, no problem. And if they have never been reprimanded by the authorities that be from AERC, as far as they will be concerned, there is no reason why they shouldn't.

Is really is a shame that no one documented any of this despicable behavior and extremely poor horsemanship so that we had proof of these allegations. If there is any proof, and nothing was done, that's not good either. Especially if indeed, a horse has suffered.

RM has many different avenues for which to get rid of unruly riders, some of which don't necessarily have to come under our rules. If there was underage drinking at a ride, someone could have called the cops. Most RM's work with land managers to put on a ride. Report the situation to them and let THEM kick the unwanted riders off the property. That takes it out of RM hands. RM can just write down everything that happens including statements from witnesses and let the offending rider file the protest if they feel they are justified in doing so. IF they threaten to sue or whatever, tell them to take it up with AERC, but in the meantime get off the property. Rm's shouldn't be fearful of the riders. (Don't forget our backbones are multi-purpose ;) Maybe our RM committee can brainstorm with different ideas on how to utilize outside sources so that making a RM file a protest would be the last resort in a situation or maybe keep AERC out of it altogether.

We surely don't need more rules. Our own history of enforcing rules and relying on our own
legal expertise hasn't been all that, and there is a good possibility that the offending rider could be let off anyway. However, that doesn't mean that at the time of the ride, a RM has to put up with anybodies crap.

If we choose not to hold someone accountable for their actions, that is our bad. In my opinion, we have been bad about that. If we really believe that everyone is ultimately responsible for their horses health and soundness, then they need to be held to that or be dismissed. I would think that would be at least one thing we could enforce. (Except for the confusion on who's responsible. The rider, the owner, the vet's assistant, a Jr. rider? Whatever)

It is sooooo much easier to ignore situations rather than deal with them on the spot. I have reported aggressive drivers, a woman who slapped her infant in a store, a family who left their dog in the car, (in Florida, in the summer) and of course horse abuse. My heart races every time I make that kind of call. It's scary. But it is the right thing to do. If I waited for someone else to make that call, I might have read about the driver hitting a van full of kids, or the woman shaking her baby to death because no one did make that call. I am not a busybody, but if you don't want it to be my business, then don't do it in front of me.

Since the HWC is committed to the welfare of the horse, then don't you think taking a wait and see approach might not always be in the best interest of the horse? Maybe there are some cases when the HWC can be a little more pro-active, without having to wait for the paper trail or report. By then, it could be too late.

Lisa Salas, The Oddf aRm