[RC] [RC] OT: Racing Training HR - April - FXLivestock

My guess is that because flat track racing is an anaerobic event that a lot of the training done with these horses has to be in that zone.  I wouldn't doubt that much of the training would be above 200.  The anaerobic system in flat race horses has to be much more developed than in endurance horses.

 I think the main difference with endurance training is that for the majority of the endurance event we want our horses to be aerobic so the majority of the training would be developing efficiency in this zone.  I know most endurance riders do some anaerobic work like intervals, hills, or fartlek as our endurance horses do dip into the anaerobic during competition with some hill climbs or with a sprints in to the finish.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648