[RC] [RC] Beet Pulp -- High Calcium? - Patti

Someone suggested to me that feeding beet pulp may cause high calcium?
Thoughts..please? THANKS!

Raven

Beet pulp does have good levels of calcium but shouldn't be the "cause" of high blood levels unless the calcium can't be cleared by the kidneys.
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic260.htm - this explains some of the causes of high blood calcium levels and why they're suggesting malignancy.
If beet pulp is a really large part of his diet, might want to consider backing down some.If you're feeding grass hay, could also have good levels of calcium (the grass hay/always low calcium is a myth which doesn't hold up with testing).
How old is Huginn? Might not have anything to do with anything but did they run an ACTH test to check for Cushing's? Couldn't hurt to check - I wouldn't mess with any of the "response" tests, especially dex suppression or cortisol screening tests, just a single draw "endogenous" ACTH which they might have to send up to Michigan. If it's normal, less likely anything pituitary related; if it's high, could tell you a lot about what's going on (and where to begin treating it). (This thought comes from following the "adrenal insufficiency" link from the above article.)

Patti K
Vail AZ